Skip to main content

Getting to this point

When I was a little girl I thought I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher. Or a missionary to Africa.  Those dreams changed over the years and for better or worse faded. When it came time to pick a major I first chose Psychology thinking that I wanted to do play therapy with kids, but I quickly determined that I did not have the emotional strength required for such a career. Some how I ended up studying Communications and Media Broadcasting and graduated with a BA and dreams of directing live T.V. or maybe even being the next Ellen or Oprah. Yeah, none of those things transpired. Mostly because I never really pursued it post graduation.

What did I do? Oh, so many various jobs that I have lost track of them all but here are a few that stand out; Children's Ministries Director, Youth Pastor (oh wait I am a woman so...)Director, Missionary to Rome, English Teacher, Direct Sales and Sales, Secretary, Housekeeping, and seriously a bunch more jobs. I have loved them and hated them I have become who I am because of them. So you may be wondering, why I am starting a Teacher Trinity blog.

Perhaps, being the smart cookie you are you already figured out that I am now a teacher. Yep. Me. No, I did not somehow manage to get my teaching credential between all these various jobs. But what I lack in credentials I make up for in what I like to consider a fair bit or hands on learning and some natural talent that I believe was passed down to me from my pretty amazing folks. Oh, and I moved to Bolivia where there is a lot more grace when it comes to the idea of credentials.

So, here I am 1 year into living life in Bolivia and what seems like a lifetime worth of adventures in my back pocket. When we (my daughter Kiley and I) landed in Santa Cruz, Bolivia last June I had every intention of teaching, but in my mind I would be teaching English as a Second Language to cute little kids in China via the magic of the Internet. I had taken an online course prior to arriving in Bolivia and recieved my TESOL and TEFL Certification and I had gone through the application process to be a teacher with VIPKid. My plan was to teach late night and early morning classes while Kiley slept all from the comfort of our new home while we awaited for my husband to join us in a few months time.


It was a good plan, but as I quickly discovered it was not a realistic plan.  For one thing we were no longer in a country where the Internet speed was reliable. And though I paid for a high speed internet I could rarely make it through a 30 min lesson without the video or sound failing. We were also no longer living in a peaceful neighborhood, but rather a house filled with life on a street that never seemed to sleep. So, my time as a VIPKid teacher ended about as quick as it began. I could have just waited for my husband to arrive, but I have never been much good at being a stay at home mom/wife. I like to contribute and I figured if I could secure a good job then Freddy could come join us that much sooner!

I pursued a few different English teaching opportunities and then in August I was hired not as an English Teacher, but as a substitute teacher at an English speaking school. Now mind you sometime in my many years of odd jobs I had actually planned on being a substitute teacher in California and passed my CBEST test (I think that is the name of the test) but then life happened and I never actually worked as a substitute but at various times I had worked in kindergarten classes, preschool classes, and even a Junior High Spanish class. None of this really prepares you to just jump in and start teaching a class of 36 students who, yes speak English but whose mother tongue is for the most part Spanish. But by the grace of God I not only survived, but loved every min of my new role. Then just a few months in I got called and asked if I would take on teaching a 2nd grade class, not as a sub but as a teacher, to replace a teacher who had been let go. I would start the next day.



I jumped at the opportunity, and quickly became Ms. Trinity to a room full of 36 kids who had no clue that I had no clue. We pushed through and had a great few months together, I learned even more than I taught and grew into my new role.

The first few month teaching was great, but Kiley hated going to class. She cried (read...threw crazy fits) every single morning when I would leave her. It was heart wrenching, but we both pressed through and by the time we finished our first school year we were both confident and comfortable in our new school.

The school year here in Bolivia runs February till December so Freddy was here with us as we wrapped up our first school year and life began to settle into a routine as we jumped into our second year at Cambridge. I stayed teaching Year 3 (2nd Grade) and Kiley moved up to Pre-K. This year Kiley was ready for a great year and strode into school like she owned the place. I too felt more secure in my own abilities to teach and had found some great support in fellow teachers.


 




  


 



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, I Can't Just Click That Link

There is no Target here. No Amazon, well there is The Amazon but it's the one with millions of yet to be discovered species, not millions of discounted products quickly delivered to your doorstep. So, right from the get go my approach to decorating and organizing my new class cannot be that of the millions of teachers who flood Pinterest and YouTube with classroom set up ideas.  I cannot just click the link below to get the must have rolling morning cart that will be the lifesaver I never knew I needed. I cannot just run down the street to the Dollar Tree and stock up on amazing bins and decor for my class. Nor can I even count on the lamination and books we are waiting on to be released from customs before the start of the year. What I can depend on is a God who knows my needs and is faithful to meet my needs. A God who placed me here for such a time as this who is bigger than all my worries and who has it all figured out should I just remember that He is God and I am NOT. ...

Classroom Set Up Day 1

I finally got to get in my new class yesterday! This week is optional at my new school, but I am excited to get going! I feel pretty good about the progress that I made yesterday, here are some pics of some projects I knocked out! I got the students mailboxes numbered! Days of the week file system is ready to go!  Got some handy clothes pins ready for student jobs and who knows what else! View from my desk Covered a bulletin board and the back of this shelving unit and ready to add the content. First beachy colored board up! View from our literacy corner.
Seven days and counting till I get to start setting up my new 5th Grade class, but that doesn't mean I am not already hard at work preparing to be the best 5th grade teacher I can be. Truth be told I am spending hours reading about styles of teaching that are totally new to me. I have watched countless YouTube videos and webinars taught by educators with decades of experience and I am learning so much! So, while my friends ask how my "vacation" is going I am truly enjoying this time I have to dig deep and soak up all this knowledge before my "break" comes to an end. I am so enamored with this workshop based teaching style that I can't wait to see it in action. But I know that to achieve these high standards I need to plan. Not just lessons, but procedures. Like I blogged about last time, "if I fail to plan, then I am planning to fail." I have no intention of failing. It seems silly at first when you start to think about teaching procedures. Yo...